Madras Motors was created in 1946 to market Royal Enfield and other British motorcycles in India. They got their big break when an order of 800 Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycles came for the Indian Army. The Army was delighted with the bikes and approached Madras Motors with a second order, but this time it requested that the bikes be manufactured in India. Initially, they came as kits ready to assemble from Redditch, but eventually tooling was imported and more and more of the production took place locally. In 1955 a new company was floated, called Enfield India, to undertake the production of the bikes. Complete production of local bikes took place in 1962. Madras Motors continued as a dealer for Enfield India. The company later diversified into forgings, which eventually overtook motorcycle sales in revenue. Motorcycle sales ended in 1990. The company is now known as MM Forgings.