The sidecar was not invented by Royal Enfield. However, the inventors were the Graham Brothers from the town of Enfield. This is from The Motor Car Journal, June 27th 1903. At the time they called it a "sociable attachment". Components Ltd. of Birmingham was the manufacturer of the Ariel brand of motorcycles, owned by Charles Sangster, whose son Jack Sangster would become the chairman of BSA and appointed Val Page, Bert Hopwood and Edward Turner as designers.